View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
AirheadGaming

AirheadGaming is on a distinguished road
Re: custom clients. Good or bad?

Thanks for the tips everyone, the main goal of designing this engine is to make creating MUDs easy, it has a tool kit with a real clean UI with drag and drop support for linking rooms to doors. I don't plan on building a large MUD with it, but rather releasing the MUD for 3rd party developers to make games with.

That being said I would not know where to begin with the telnet side of things, how would I go about writing a server that supports telnet?

As for custom clients, the goal was to provide a new user with a simplified experiance. Alot of times trying to remember all of the commands available or what commands do what can confuse a new player, and thus the reason behind a possible custom client with a UI so the user won't need to enter commands. The client download size should be less than 1MB (not including the .NET framework for windows machines) due to the server containing all of the files. The client should just send a command to the server, server parse it and send back text to display in the console. Am I going about that in the right way? clients should not have any of the game files stored on their local machine to prevent hacking correct?

Thanks again everyone.
Johnathon
Airhead Gaming
AirheadGaming is offline   Reply With Quote