View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #38
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

I appreciate your point and I think that's definitely the way to go in an IDEAL SITUATION. But then again, when it is ideal, you probably aren't dealing with an RP attention hog.

RP attention hogs are those people who try (or succeed) at finding ways to make every single RP situation center around them or re-direct towards them. They are usually very good at doing this in ways that you can't reasonably or logically shut them down IC. They are also often good RPers which is why there is often no legit way to shut them down IC.

But it sucks hugely for everyone else because nobody wants the same person to always be the center of attention - no matter how good of an RPer they are.

There are times where the only way to solve it is to talk to the person OOC, and that can be a challenge. You don't want to discourage their good RP, but you want to make sure they understand that they cannot always be the center of attention. So you have to educate without alienating. That's why I started this thread (5 years ago!) - so people could discussion the situations where there was no easy IC solution.

The situations where you can deal with it IC are the trivial situations where a discussion like this isn't needed.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote