View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #46
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Late to the party, but:

Milieu-dependent. MUDs exist where the physical death of a character results in them being sent to an underworld, etc. A futuristic MUD might consist largely of cyberspace, where 'death' simply means being forced into an organic world for some time. These MUDs might even share the same underlying engine. In these sets of physical laws, the correct roleplay decision is that traditional permadeath models would be OOC. What you really want here is internal consistency, not realism. After all, it's not 'realistic' that you have wizards and such in Armageddon, etc. It is, however, internally consistent with the rules of the world.

A) This is irrelevant because you cannot enforce it. A dedicated player who wants two or more accounts can have two or more accounts.
B) Even when a player allows you to link their characters, isn't this an OOC mechanism? I would think that in an "intensive" role play environment, the admins would be judging the quality of a performance or applications strictly on the merit of that character. The 'special' roles seem like a mock audition for a role in, say, a local community theater, except the director decides who gets the part before seeing the tryouts, based on resumes.

Already covered in detail. You are using integers to track the abilities of a character, but parse them differently (sometimes more coarsely, sometimes not) when explaining them to the character's player. All games have these sorts of abstractions.

Finally, an actual feature. I'm not sure the absence of 'stock' emotes helps more than it harms, and 'extensive' is purely arbitrary, but you have the core of something here. It's harder to roleplay when the code doesn't put power in the hands of players.

Artificially slow combat has advantages (time for unwieldy syntax, emotes/ etc.) and disadvantages (many players feel combat is enhanced by a more realistic high-stress rapid pace). I don't see what the absence or presence of a crafting system has to do with the 'pace' of the world.

All roleplaying MUDs I'm aware of have coded echoes of the sort you're describing. Day/night descriptions are an arbitrary feature that your MUD (and mine) have, but they're no more or less important that any number of other distinctions we could draw. Does your MUD have weather-dependent descriptions? Character-height-dependent? Seasonal? Are they changed by local combat? Why is day/night the only variable that matters?

What if the purpose of your game makes combat or crafting unlikely? What if you're running a purely political MUD? Why is that not able to bill itself as "roleplay intensive". Because characters don't fight to the death or spend hours making hats?

Again, you're acting to exclude games where fighting is unlikely, or else where the results are decided by the combatants or arbitrators. There exist MUDs where each combatant describes their actions to a moderator, who decides what happens next based on creativity, the storyline, who the characters are, etc. It seems odd that such a system would be considered less roleplay-intensive than your preferred system.

Milieu-dependent. A futuristic MUD set on a space station might well have a global PA system. Divine beings could likely make their thoughts known to all mortals. Etc.