Thread: Advice please?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Sammie

Sammie is on a distinguished road
I want to start out by thanking any of you that take time to answer this thread - your opinions are most valued and appreciated.

Yes, I'm going to do my own mud. Not to try and revolutionize the gaming world, mind you, but for my own personal enjoyment. I’ve been a strong RPer for years, an Immortal and a Builder, and I guess I’m just tired of seeing my work and creativity becoming “not mine”, if you know what I mean. I don’t have delusions that this game will ever go live – I just want to do this to do it, mainly to see if I can, and secondly to try in implement ideas that I have.

I’ve done a bit of research on the web and as a result, here is where I stand:

I have my mother’s old computer, and have a secured a copy of Red Hat 9.0 to load on it. I’ve purchased and have under one arm a book named “How to Code C / C++”, and under the other “MUD Game Programming”. I’ve also looked into a T1 connection and MudHosting. (FYI – I just found out that many cable internet companies have basic cable connections that are running at the equivalent of a T1.)

Now, I’m choosing to go with C because for starters, I hear it is the easiest and most common.

Here is my major question though: what codebase should I choose? I’m leaning more towards Rom, because of the wealth of information on the net, including snippets and such. I’m not good enough to write a darn thing from scratch – I need something easily altered, and something that can theoretically become very, very unique.

I’m adamant about the game being skill based – I abhor the thought of players engaging in hack-n-slash to get levels and become more powerful. I’m also WAY into crafting – from weaving to woodworking, cooking to cosmetology – I want players to be able to create all kinds of marvelous items, and express their own personal creativity. I don’t like people having rooms that say, “There is an ornate wrought iron bed here, dressed with red satin sheets and pillows”. Uh uh – if you want that you’re going to have to MAKE the stuff.

I also want to implement OLC – that way, my friends can log in and create that dark, gloomy sunken ship or fairytale forest they’ve always dreamed of.

So, all in all, opinions? Should I, or can I, just go with Rom?

Oh, another question – I don’t really understand all the logistics of this project yet – is there a way to let my friends remotely log into the host machine and work with the code themselves? I’m not the only one that wants to learn to program.

Once again, thank you in advance for your assistance!
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote