View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
And what I was saying is that everyone likes something different, so no matter what you do you'll never please everyone.

Which leaves you with a choice. Do you want to create something you like, or something that a random player likes? Because I can tell you from experience, if you don't enjoy the mud it's very difficult to motivate yourself to keep it going (unless you have some other major motivation, such as financial renumeration).

I'm making my game for myself, and by extension, everyone else who likes the same style of game that I do.

That's like advising restaurant owners to open McDonalds and Burger Kings. Sure they're popular, and sure you'll appeal to a wide audience - but there are plenty of people who would far prefer to go to proper restaurants, and I'm one of them.

No, my sort of mentality - the willingness to stick to your own vision - is the thing that encourages diversity and gives rise to the next generation of muds. To appeal to the masses you need to stick with the same old tired features. Sure, you can give those features a polish, but if everyone limited themselves to what the masses wanted, muds would never progress.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote