View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #310
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

It looks like this argument will never end, but I still do not like this module because of the failure to properly categorize. I'll explain here:

[ ] Payment and/or donations required to play.
This is all well and good but as I've stated before few will check this box as it stands mainly because "required" is ambiquous. There is not a Text mud out there that requires you to PAY immediately before you can log on. Many require you to "register" a valid email, but not send money. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong here.

[ ] Payment and/or donations accepted, rewarded in-game.
Nicely worded, but as we've seen in this thread, rewarded in game is ambiquous and I'm not trying to be Clintonesque. Rewarded in game can be easily circumvented by what you believe a reward is.

[ ] Payment and/or donations accepted, not rewarded in-game.
This will likely be 95% of the checks of muds here. Again a ruination of the reason for the options.

[ ] Payment and/or donations accepted, not rewarded in-game.
Like the above, very few will check this giving a lack of broad range for the player that is seeking a "free" game, but wants some options, more than just getting 5 responses to the query, four of which are MUSHES when they are seeking a MUD.

I have to again promote the 2 Selections with multiple options under the first selection as the best answer. The main reason is that you could gain a multitude of responses based solely on your preferences for the check options as shown:
---------------------------------------------------

[ ] This mud has some donation, registration, and/or payment features.
(Sub options, click as many as apply)
{ } Paying registration is required to play.
{ } Paying registration is required at certain levels.
{ } Donations are required at certain levels.
{ } Donations are encouraged but not required.
{ } Rewards are part of donations/registrations/payments.
{ } Rewards are not part of donations/registrations/payments.
{ } All rewards in this game can be received without paying registration.
{ } All rewards in this game can be received without donations.
(There could be several more option boxes but I think you get the picture)
[ ] This mud does not accept money (donations/registrations/credits) in any form.
---------------------------------------------------
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote