View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 01:18 AM   #47
Seraphina

Seraphina is on a distinguished road
I disagree. I have since checked them out and started a character to see what it is like. I am sticking with Dragonrealms because I can't imagine not sticking with it. But I am starting my daughter out in Achaea. She will not be advancement oriented because she doesn't have that much time to play. Having fun roleplaying doesn't require a top speed of advancement. I have spoken with other players and it is very doable to advance without buying anything.

I would prefer to have her in Dragonrealms because I think it still beats Achaea for ease of entry, but Achaea beats all the others I have checked out with the exception of Dragonrealms.

While some of the other muds I have checked also seem very good there are several reasons I felt that Achaea, even with the voluntary purchase issue, was a better choice. Some seemed too PvP oriented, others were too harsh an environment, many had telnet entry with no suggested client or help in setting up the client. I am willing to put some time into helping her get started but I don't want to have to spend weeks figuring out how to set the client up with basic functions.

Achaea also has a very nice collection of information on the history and the gods which is an interesting read. I won't know for awhile of course, but it seems to have the right balance of ease of use, roleplaying potential, and friendly help available.

The perpetual debates on pay, optional pay, roleplaying verses powergaming lead me inevidably to one thought. Advancement is not a prerequisite to roleplaying.

There is another aspect to the debates. Some people have time and money but most people have either time or money. So, in a game such as Achaea those with time can pour that in and advance faster than those with full time jobs and families. Those who are too busy can boost their opportunity for advancement through using some of that hard earned cash. Those with both time and money will advance the fastest, but that is just the way of the world. Achaea is not the same as a pay to play mud because you don't HAVE to pay.

I haven't been to all the free muds out there but from what I can see those muds that charge or offer in game advantages to those who pay do seem to have a more professional website with systems that allow for easier entry of inexperienced mudders.

The free muds are fussier about whom they accept, some requiring histories, others not offering much support so really are set up for those who either have a history of mudding or know someone who already plays that can guide them through setting up their client.

I can understand why some of the traditional mudders find payment for benefits to be so outrageous. Based on traditional mudding principles the idea of purchasing in game status through real life money is abhorant. But these games are not traditional. They are able to offer services that are not provided by the free muds.

My bet is the reason they get larger faster isn't so much advertising as it is ease of entry. You can go to Dragonrealms sign up and be playing literally within minutes. Dragonrealms has both it's own client, Wizard, which I have used for years, and a newer web based entry which doesn't require download. In both cases there is no need to "set up" the client that is already done for us. Achaea isn't quite as generous but the Java entry is very comfortable to use. The only think lacking that I would have appreciated having right away was a logging mechanism.

Contrast that to entering a new game in telnet, and the difference is enormous for someone who doesn't want to fiddle with obtaining and learning how to use a generic client.

So, a hint to the free muds, front page news on your website (if you want new players that have never played a mud) provide a link to a free client and all basic set up information for whatever would be the most useful features to have active when beginning to play.

From the perspective of a player checking out muds, it makes a difference if payment is required, verses payment optional, verses donations accepted. Not because one type is inherently better than the other, but because different players will find different aspects more or less important than others.

While having the pay muds may well result in free muds being pushed down the list it will also increase traffic tremendously and increase the number of people visiting the free muds to check them out. I already know of some DR players who have joined a free mud (and singing it's praises for RP), and some Achaea players who are checking out DR, and I, a diehard fan of DR am introducing my daughter to Achaea instead of Dragonrealms.

Everyone stands to gain. There is no need to denigrate any game or style in order to promote the idea that payment details should be included on the info page.
Seraphina is offline   Reply With Quote