View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Properly Utilizing Builder Creativity

I think you are both on to something with the ever important need to make sure things are clear up front. I imagine a lot of imms get caught in the trap of telling people what they want to hear just so they can get as many builders on staff as possible. I have always felt that was dangerous and selfish for a zillion reasons, and the circumstances we are discussing here are just some of them.

Brody: I liked your multiple steps of planning, modification, and approval. That will not only help the creative builders be more organized (which increases the chances that the project will be completed), but also heads off a lot of the potential problems.

Nass: Yes, I am all too familiar with that method builders use of generating interest in their areas. Although, I am familiar with it from a player's perspective. I even hated it as a player, because it meant the balance of the game see-sawed depending on which builders or coders were most active at the time.

Fortunately, we are super, super selective at hiring time and thus managing our staff has been a joy. But I know it only takes one mistake and one bad hire and things will be get ugly fast.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote