View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Jherlen

Jherlen is on a distinguished road
Re: When do you stop reading?

This is a great thread! Props to the OP.

1) How much are you willing to read before you get into the game?
Enough to where I feel like I know about my character's race, occupation, location, and local views on the world to be able to play him. I want to be able to try the game out and give it a fair chance, and if I like it, I'll go back and read all the rest of the documentation.

2) About how much text are you okay with seeing before you decide "That's just too much; I'm not reading it."?
Depends on how well it's written and how useful the information is. If it starts getting down into minute details, or rambling on about things that don't hold my focus, I start to skim or skip.

3) Are you more interested in knowing about the lore before you get into the game or after you get into the game?
About half and half. I want to know enough to play, but then I want to play. If I like playing, I'll want to know more.

4) Is the lore more important to you at first (while you're developing your character), or are you more interested in knowing about the mechanics?
I try not to be too concerned with mechanics at first, but lore is important for developing a good character.

5) Do you rely on intuition or accessible docs first?
If there are docs, I'll read them. Intuition only works if you already and understand the environment. Usually, if I'm new, I don't.

6) What will make you simply stop reading?
- Poorly written documents (run on sentences, bad grammar, bad formatting.)
- Overly cliched and unoriginal concepts, or concepts that look like it took someone all of 5 minutes to write up.
- Docs that are too simple and black and white or don't allow for variations at all. (ALL elves are angelic and love forests, EVERY member of orc society is an evil backstabbing cutthroat with no morals.)
- Lack of important docs explaining concepts, or those docs being too short. (A single paragraph on a race isn't enough info for that race to be detailed.)
Jherlen is offline   Reply With Quote