View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Help me out, please :)

I don't think you're going to find something that's perfect, no, and I think you may be scaring off a good number of rp games with your rp requirement. Places that are fun to rp often get that way by being rp-required, because that setting brings in strong rp'ers. My game (OtherSpace) isn't perfect for you, but if you're having this much trouble, I'll throw it out in hopes that it satisfies enough of your points for your liking.

Fun world to explore: We'll have a very large space system as of this summer, which will have a lot of open terrain with hidden and secret things. Explorers will be able to discover creatures/planets/solar systems that no one's ever seen before, and even make a profit if they can find resource-laden dead ships or asteroids and note the coordinates to sell to a miner/salvager. I personally build my planets with secret hidey holes within them, so there is a decent amount of that.

Roleplay: This is tough. I’d like to think that our areas promote rp, but how can I be sure it will inspire you? But our players absolutely inspire rp, as they're constantly inventing plots. But at the end of the day, we ARE rp-required. We have OOC areas if you want to be OOC, and during scenes we break out into OOC conversation occasionally, but we don’t allow people to just ignore rp.

PK: We allow PK, but the environment is such that if you aren’t in a fighting-style or outside-the-law career, there’s an extremely small chance of death or injury.

Combat: We use dice-rolling and referees for combat, allowing you to do just about anything you can think of (and is physically possible) for your character to do in combat.

Skills: We don’t fit in this regard. We have about a hundred skills, and allow people to raise them in whatever configuration they want, in order to make truly individual characters. But we have a very friendly newbie helper staff who can tell you what to add if you want that choice taken away from you.

Crafting: We allow crafting of clothing, armor, weapons, gadgets, and a wide variety of other things. Soon, we’ll allow people to have manufacturing and resource-gathering facilities for crafting raw materials into shipbound cargo. It’s great for grinding during off hours. You could combine this with the exploration aspect if you wanted to find resources, bring them home, then craft them into something to sell.

Again, I know we’re not perfect for your needs, but I really have never seen a game that matches it perfectly in my 16-odd years of mudding. If you’re willing to give us a try, go to and poke around at the OtherSpace link, especially Encyclopedia Intergalactica and the Newbie guide. I hope to see you around.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote