View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
caspin00

caspin00 is on a distinguished road
Hello all, I'm fairly new to the boards and thought I would just share something that I've been thinking alot about lately. I'm a huge fan of rogue classes, it's what I play in just about every mud or mmorpg I try. Lately I've been noticing a bit of a problem though, it seems that in alot of muds rogues have been reduced to something along the lines of an asssassin. What I mean is in just about every mud I've played a rogue is a character whose biggest advantage is backstabs and critical strikes. Now maybe I have a strange idea of what a rogue is, but I always envisioned a rogue as someone who would much rather not even get in a fight. I want a rogue that can sneak up on a mob, steal some coin, disable a trap, and unlock a treasure chest. Now I realize in most muds these skills are possiable but they seem to take a backseat to combat as if they're something that is added as an afterthought. Now I understand that it would be difficult to build a mud that rewarded stealth.. it'd be extremely easy to exploit. I was thinking perhaps though of rogue only quest, for example maybe a fellow rogue guildmate got caught, and it's your job to sneak into the local jail, pickpocket the key from a guard and release him, without getting into a fight. Anyways that was my crappy rogue rant, I'm curious to hear what you all think.
caspin00 is offline   Reply With Quote