View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Bristlecone

Re: Bristlecone's RPI Codebase Project

Argila was based on the RPI Engine released by Traithe from Shadows of Isildur game back in 2005. It was in C, and I spent a lot of time cleaning up memory leaks and generally tidying up the code. I started adding in LUA support, but when I join SOI as a developer, I stopped work on Argila. I am only aware of two games in active development that use the Argila Engine, and a couple more than are little more than hobby games.

What was released by SOI in May was called the RPI++ Engine. It was the result of 3 years of active development, including a conversion to allow it to compile as C++ code. During the time I was on the development team, I created or modified over 100 commands, and increased the capabilities of the game in many ways. Crafting, healing, and teaching, are the main changes visible to the average user. Staff has an increased number of tools available to them as well. For those who have downloaded the RPI++ Engine, the main problem is in-compatable MySQL versions. RPI++ requires 5.0 to work properly. I think there is still an issue with one table that is not properely defined, but once you get past that, the game works just fine.

However, the RPI++ is not Argila. It will not work perfectly with worldfiles created under Argila. LUA is not implemented with the RPI++ Engine. I will not be converting the DIKU code into a new version of Argila.

What I am calling Argila++ is a completely new code base, written from scratch. It will be designed specifically for the needs of RPI games. It is open-source and freely available. That is what you will find at . The world files will not be compatible with any previous DIKU based game. It will take time to develop and code, but I hope to have a specialized MUD engine, that anyone can install and run, and one that will take advantage of internet technologies unknown to the developers of DIKU.