View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: born-again techie looking to MUD

Everything you describe is well within the capabilities of any programming language and has been done on a mud before. However I'm going to make a suggestion you may not want to hear, which is that a mud is probably too big of a first project for you. If you just want to tinker on system design and prototypes, fine, but if you want to make a game that other people will play I suggest doing something single-player first, or make a mud with a much narrower scope. Otherwise you'll probably just get frustrated and quit.

As far as programming languages go I wouldn't go by any hard and fast rule about which language to learn first. Instead try a few and see what you're the most comfortable with. You might want to try C, C++, Java, Python and Ruby to start.

If you really want to develop a mud from the code end I don't think building areas for other muds is the best idea, unless you want a side project to turn to when you're tired of working on the mud project.

Good luck.

eta: and oh yeah, if you want a small first project, here's one -- research and make a list of 20 notable muds and play each of them for a few hours.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote