Thread: RP Quests
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 08:27 PM   #1
Sidmouth

Sidmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sidmouth
Not too long ago we did a trial on my mud of what I call rp adventures. Many muds have them and refer to them as rp quests I think. We tailor a storyline for a player at their request. The completion of it allows them access to a special benefit, like a good piece of eq, a special talent for their character, or something similar.

Ours are about 3-4 hours in length. I was pretty much doing them solo and found that one a week was my limit (I also build and do various admin jobs). For the most part I thought the three we did were very successful. The biggest problem was with me, as I was very reluctant to allow people to fail a quest. A reasonable probability of failure would mitigate requests for these things and force players to put some real thought into -why- they want whatever reward they are trying for and why it will be a good rp move for them and not just a character boost.

Anyways, our program is in its fledgling stages, and I'm curious to hear about other people's systems. I have seen muds where these things can last several days and are done mostly by use of riddles/progs/mud exploration rather than intensive 1 on 1 sessions with imms (what I do). I've also seen people give a variety of interesting rewards for them. This is something I am struggling with as I want options... if only a few things are available, the entire pbase will attempt to get those things and I can only fail so many of them.

Go into as much detail as you wish and include links to your webpage if you have logs or other relevant material.

Thanks,
Sidmouth
Sidmouth is offline   Reply With Quote