Thread: Equipment Saves
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
I didn't want to name any muds with my post, but DartMUD is one of the ones I'm angry with. I don't think qutting should affect _anything_ in the gameworld, as it is done OOC. The sleep explaination is completely unrealistic, as you could be "going to sleep" for more than a week irl, while your character is "sleeping" for months because of time acceleration. And then, while you are playing, you stay up for days at a time without so much as lying down (apparently impossible in DartMUD). Personally, if I was in such a dangerous place as a MUD IRL, I'd keep my weapon handy when I was sleeping, even if "handy" is sitting beside me where I can wake up as I sleep lightly. You say an item economy is hard to implement? That's the kind of thing that you need to implement, things that improve the game. It's hard, yes, but it seems very necessary for a good game. Try making things harder to get, maybe? Accursed Lands, now that we're mentioning names, has equipment saving. It's based off of DartMUD I believe. I think the reason it works is that the skills are harder to get than DartMUD, and more valuable than the baubles in the long run. Things are still expensive, but people still love to buy them, if not for their value as defense or offense, at least for the status that it brings. It's hard to play, yes, but so is DartMUD.

Edit: I'm sorry if this seems very hostile, but it's just so annoying to me. I love DartMUD except for that one little detail which has made me quit before, and is making me consider quitting again.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote