View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #21
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: RPEI, The New RP Standard

Hate to change the topic slightly, but it really grates me when people call RPI or RPEI acronymns. They aren't in the true form of the word. They are initials (or if you want to be technical initialisms). An acronymn is a pronouncable word (like MUD) not RPI or FBI, etc.

Secondly, I once wrote a short definision on the difference between the RP and Non RP muds and here it is:
------------------------
A. Roleplay mud: Each character is unique. It acts, reacts, and makes choices based on the character and its surroundings.

B. Any other type of mud: You may go in and out of character at any time. Talk about life, dinner, football, or the base roll of your weapon within the game environment.

There are pros and cons to both systems, it is a matter of choice. Whether a game is type A or Type B is dependant more upon the playerbase than the game system. The term Hack and Slash doesn't necessarily define that it is not a roleplay game, but rather that the focus of the game is about killing and leveling vs. character interaction.

Nearly every roleplay mud, and I would go as far as to say every roleplay mud (unless it is a non combatative MUSH) can be turned into hack and slash by virtue of the player's choices.
------------------------

This whole argument over RPI, RPEI, and on is silly in the extreme and comes from people trying to call their mud better or elitist. There would be no other reason for it. I started this thread as a parody as a better way to show how comical it can become.

Now quit arguing and get out there and have some fun!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote