Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #41
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I strongly agree, here.

I do not like chat channels in the same window as my game client when I am on a game for roleplaying. It's easy to get distracted, and it takes time to remove it when I'm cleaning up logs. I also find that sometimes another player will get interested in the chatter going on in the game and instantly forget they're in the middle of a session with me -- and it kind of puts the breaks on roleplaying, moreso than if they had to have a separate client open.

I also wanted to comment on the assertion that adding chat channels to a game would serve to keep players from running to outside messengers to trade game secrets. People who intend to cheat are going to do it anyway. You adding a channel to your game won't convince them not to do it, as a result, the only thing you've accomplished is creating a avenue for OOC chatter. This can be good if you want to provide a space for players to kick back and get to know each other, but it's also not really a necessary (or even wanted) feature of RPI-typed games.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote