Thread: O.L.C
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002, 10:25 PM   #8
kaylus1

Umm.. Read up! *chuckle* The driver for an LPMud is hardcoded all the way. The rest of the mud is not. It uses the LPC language, which is a semi-object-oriented programming language. The LPC files (/mud/lib/room/square.c) are compiled on the fly by the driver.

The driver is what runs the Mudlib which is written in LPC, and is not compiled (per se).

A good Definition
LPC is a small, object oriented type C language developed by Lars Pensjö for LP-MUD, a Multi-User Dungeon environment under many UNIX systems. Since the premise of this language is based on C, it contains many of the syntactical qualities of C, but also maintains a large set of functions capable of performing many actions inside the game. The objective is to begin to look at LPC as a way of creating objects, rather than specific items, so that new coders can begin to experience the way LPC actually works. Rooms, weapons, monsters, armor, and whatever creation you can think of, even yourself, are objects. LPC allows you to create, modify, delete, and reproduce these objects in almost any manner you choose.

It is because of the fact that they are not HARDCODED, and because they are so user-defineable and malleable that there is no OLC or Offline Creation that does justice. Although on my mud I wrote an excellent online creation module in pure LPC. It is my-mud specific though. I also wrote an offline builder for my wife in Visual Basic. It is my-mud specific though.

Kaylus@Solice
Sorry for Redundancy, Im tired