Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Death

The whole minor death penalty thing and peoples preference for it is the whole reason that WoW stole the market from Everquest. Death should carry consequences, but why cant those consequence be fun.. or at least not heartbreaking? You dont have to steal levels, xp and the like to promote good RP or teach someone a lesson. I do get the impression that overall, and especially with the more intense RP , everyone seems to have forgotten that a MUD is a game, and supposed to be fun.

But when that consequence is having to recreate days or weeks of hard work.. to be blunt I dont want that kind of emotional attachment, as the only emotions are frustration, anger, upset and a feeling that you just wasted a lot of time. Especially (and this has happened to me) death occurred as a result of disconnects.

Someone dies, give em a solid hour or more of randomised death effects (a'la'Threshold as an example.. makes for some nice RP opps) and the loss of items should be more than enough punishment. But when I have to go out there.. and grind the same areas again and again to get back my XP and levels and when those areas are limited, and frequently over hunted, it slows things down even more.

I suppose in MUDs where levels and power is secondary to the RP, its not that big a deal, but overall one of the reasons I have started to drift from MUD's is I didnt want the upset caused by dying as it could potentially ruin a day.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote