View Single Post
Old 05-18-2002, 07:34 PM   #16
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Right KaVir. That's why I have been careful not to make any proclamations of whether one type or another game is a "good" game or "bad" game. To each their own, what's good for me is bad for someone else, and vice versa.

I should have added, that the first game I mentioned had no particular problem with characters saying things like..

>Dilerious says, "eye'm gone killify ewe d00d"

To me, that isn't roleplay. It isn't even bad roleplay. It just isn't roleplay. The game was set in a quasi-medieval high-fantasy genre, and ebonics just doesn't fit the genre. Refusing to even attempt to fit in with the genre, and the staff's disinterest in preventing that sort of thing, tells me that it isn't an enforced RPG.

I hadn't thought about those games that don't have any combat mechanics, where everything is roleplayed. I don't think I'd be able to handle that! I like the combination of mechanics and "acting" things out via pose or act or emote. But I see having to justify why my character hunts, rather than just doing it mindlessly, or even not hunting and doing something else instead, one part of the roleplay in the game I play now.

Previously, there was no contest. You hunted. It was the only way to advance, unless your character was a healer or "rezzer." Currently, you can be a crafter, or if you don't mind taking a LONG time to advance, you can do nothing BUT roleplay, since the game acknowleges that we don't stop experiencing life simply because we're sitting at a table talking about current events. And so it rewards you with experience even if that's all you want to do. Very slow-going, but in that, it does in fact promote and support roleplay.

In addition, you don't "have to" advance at all. You can stay low level, without having any particular skills to speak of, and maybe be a storyteller or wandering minstrel if that's what excites you. No one does it, and only one person tried but she didn't stick around very long. Was a shame too, she was a great storyteller, one of the best!

But maybe she would fit in with that no-combat-mechanics type of game, where you RP everything that happens, including fights with the enemy or whatever.

Thanks for the insight!

R
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote