View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Zoticus

Zoticus is on a distinguished road
LFM: Manual Combat req.

Hello -

I've been playing muds now for around thirteen years, my first 'main' mud being Icesus - which I found after my trial on Avalon wore out and as a kid, I couldn't afford any sort of pay-to-play environs. I loved it, but I got bored after a while, and went looking for a new community. I fell into Achaea, and over the years, every other IRE mud on and off. Some of you might even recognize my username as the handle I tended to use on all their forums before they started forcing character account log ins.

The thing is, IRE muds, while extremely immersive and interactive on many levels, are limited in others. As an example, a friend and I were discussing the Mockers in their Midkemia game. Now, a core concept of the Mockers in the books was that -anyone- could be a mocker, and you'd have exactly no way to know. Your best friend, the stalwart soldier who hates lies, corruption and misdirection could have in fact been the Upright Man. All while being the most attractive woman you know.

So here's what I'm looking for, in convenient list form:

o Role play, preferably RPE or RPI. Muds with zero role play are completely uninteresting to me, even if by playing them I'd experience the best mechanics ever coded, ever.

o Manual combat, both PvE and PvP. 'kill command and watch' diku-style combat is about as fun for me as watching paint dry, without the bonus of nice new paint.

o Fluidity with regards to the path I can take with my character. Maybe he's a battle mage, or a priest who has a lamentable habit of stealing pies.

o Identity options - either a method of disguise or an introduction system. I'd love to name myself 'Jim' to most people, but in one town, they know me as 'Frank' and while 'Jim' is a nice, jovial baker, 'Frank' is a hard-as-nails hired killer.

o Little or no 'chance' based mechanics. If I wanted to roll dice to find out if I'd get anywhere, I'd be playing a table top game. I'm okay with requiring training or practice before I'm any good with an ability, mind.

o Good help files. There's nothing more obnoxious than finding a game that looks like it might be fun, only to find that there's nearly no documentation. I can play a game with a smaller playerbase if I can figure things out on my own. Guessing is not how I like to play games.

o RPK or at least restricted player killing. I'm not fond of being randomly stomped for zero reason because they can do so.

So... Any suggestions?
Zoticus is offline   Reply With Quote