View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
Re: Troublesome Aspects

I don't so much mind hunger/thirst notices, as long as (and it's often not) done every once in a while and not every minute or so. Being hungry and thirsty is realistic- and it encourages people to take basic survival skills like forage or 'dig water source' or whatever. What it *shouldn't* do is prevent a character- especially a new character- from exploring, or encourage them to stay nearby a fountain or tavern for fear of dying. A lot of games manage perfectly well by having a waterskin that lasts a good while and some basic food available early on. Also, if I'm so inclined (and hungry enough), I will eat the heart of a fresh kill because it will keep me alive, right?

I think it matters, too, what the timescale on your game is- is a IC day = 10 minutes OOC? For me, it's more about time. I dislike games that age your character a year in three days or something daft. Also, I'm extremely irritated by the 'rent' command. I tend to leave MUDs with 'rent' after only a short while- because I foresee difficulties later on; as someone mentioned, logging in to a game because you *have to* or your character will lose everything/die is just silly. People should play your game because it's where they want to be, not because they get penalised if they don't play.
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote