View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
Burrytar

Burrytar is on a distinguished road
Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

It's time for my bi-yearly search for a hopelessly narrow ideal.

For my next character, I want to play a woodland trickster who is small, adumbral, and fey. I want to steal, heal, forage, summon/charm, and quest for trivial curiosities. I want to banter with the ancient, dark god, gobble up his foodstuff offerings, void my bladder on his altar, run for my life, and then flatter his daughter into staying his curses...and end up owing them both favors. I want to ambush unsuspecting friends and enemies with strictly non-lethal combat: sleep-poisoned slingshot, taunting evasions, trips and disarms, minor concussions, shadowy illusions, and primitive traps -- meaning not to harm, but to get the upper hand in bargaining. Flashy sword duels are fine in the heat of the moment; I just don't want to kill or die in one. Death is the end of roleplay -- better to end it begrudging or forgiving a grievous wound or humiliation.

I want to explore for obscure awesomeness and abundant atmosphere, but I don't want to be expected to "know the areas" in order to be considered a competent player.

I want to enter the game into a close-knit family of other characters. I want to share a home/headquarters with this family, and I want to know that's it's always a good place to begin roleplay. I'm a shy roleplayer. If I linger in the shallows, I'll never step in any further. I need a deep end into which I may jump. The closest I've ever found, ironically, was on a roleplay-light mud where players were rewarded huge XP bonuses for grouping with newbies. That was more like a satisfactory business transaction than a roleplay experience.

I'd guess I'd better not make any more finicky demands, or I won't even get the "We're not what you're looking for, but look at me!" posts.

Oh, while I'm here, has there been any credible we're-gonna-revolutionize-muds chatter lately? I used to follow Falconer and Lindahl with their Cathyle Project before they split up, and then Falconer and Traithe with their project, and then Traithe and Iron Realms... I'll bet Kavir is still carefully fine-tuning his combat system, but I was never tactically-inclined enough to appreciate that sort of innovation. What's new and happening?
Burrytar is offline   Reply With Quote