View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
Azeroth

Azeroth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Azeroth
My team and I have been throwing ideas back and forth on our forum about this topic. I have always wanted a "true" ranged combat system. Where a player with a ranged weapon could attack from a distance like it should be (or even in a sniper capacity). But alas, I have always played and know best the codebases that are room based (which is most of them).

So the question is, how do you make a good ranged combat system (and you can throw ranged magic in this as well) that can really work? How could you attack a mobile or player 2 or 3 rooms away and have it be realistic? Taking into consideration cover? And how would you deal with the targetted player? How would they be able to react to the attacker? Would they know where the attack came from?

I know there are archery systems out there but I haven't seen any of them behave in the manner that seems to work the way it should. We are working on a Dawn codebase so bear that in mind. But really, this question covers a great many codebases. Any suggestions/ideas?

Az
Azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote