View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
If you are looking for *strictly* RP text games, you'll probably want to go the MUSH route rather than the MUD route. A typical MUSH will have no significant coded commands/skills/whatever at all, but rather you will emote or pose pretty much everything. I've never played one, but I can't say the idea appeals to me. I like coded skills that can improve over time and with effort.

If you're looking, instead, for games that have coded skills and other coded commands, but where roleplaying is required and expected and enforced, I would add Armageddon to the list of those already mentioned in the above posts.

It is a Diku-derived codebased, but extremely modified and in some parts completely gutted and rewritten. It is a harsh desert post-apocalyptic genre, without a bunch of wizards casting magic missile on mobs or anything like that. In fact the spell magic missile doesn't even exist, and magickers are considered suspect in some parts of the game world, and evil in other parts.

You won't find many "socials" or "verbs" in Armageddon, because the emoting system is so well-created that you can personalize your character's interaction with the game world much more efficiently than any social can possibly provide. Other games have similar systems, but Armageddon's seems to be the most complete I've experienced so far.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote