View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 04:10 AM   #118
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
The_logos; Dec. 05 2004,23:44
Oh yeah, you are not out to flame me, right?

Yes, we do have one zone (out of 187) that is based on Star Wars. How many other muds do?
We also have a small part of a zone very loosely based on LOTR. How many other muds do?
(There are entire muds based on LOTR or Wheel of Time and in almost every stock mud around you’ll find the Caves of Moria and the Hobbit Village, although it’s sometimes a smurf zone instead).

We probably have 2 or 3 other zones among the 187 inspired by other books or films. How many other muds do?

I like to use quotations and references to literature, myth and films in the zones myself, because that can create funny anachronisms along the lines of ‘A Yankee in King Arthur’s Court',  and because our theme is Time Travel. Since it has been such a widespread practice in all Muds right from the start, I never really saw anything wrong in doing it. I actually see it as paying reverence or 'fanzine' rather than IP theft. And since we never have been trying to hide it, I don't really see how the word 'hypocrisy' applies.

And I think only you could have got the idea of comparing this to abuse of the Diku licence. We all know your opinions about the Diku licence.

But since you weren’t out to flame me, I won’t delve into that.

Now, could we possibly go back to the topic of the thread?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote