View Single Post
Old 07-01-2002, 10:46 AM   #1
Pasano

Pasano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pasano
Arrow

Sure you can play a thief. But how can you differ your thief from every other one being played in the realm? I'm posting this because I'm always looking for ideas, even though presently, I'm not playing anywhere consistantly.

My favorite type of character, particularly for a thief or rogue type is a big time misdirection.

I play a thief who is haplessly stupid. Outwardly, publically, he is brutally unintelligent, speaks poorly, appears clumsy. I've taken it to the point of using a phony accent to further the appearance of illiteracy. Behind closed doors, away from public perception, he is calm and calculating. Sharp as the daggers he carries. Well versed and spoken. The kind of fast-talker who could have probably made a fortune as a salesman but chose this way of life instead.

The act serves to give the character some distinguishing traits that will separate him from others. It makes him funny and interesting, allows others to feel some comfort around him. As a thief, the closer you can get to people, the better. And anyway, he's harmless, right? He's the village idiot.

Tips for pulling this off better. Try to scam everyone. Shoot from the hip. Make up sob stories and beg for money. Dont just spam your steal command. Tell people that you're kids are sick. Tell them about the time they got really drunk and spilled wine on your carpet. Be a con artists.

Beyond that, be a lovable coward. Avoid fighting at all costs, be 'afraid'. Even in a fight you could win easily, the surest way to safety is to avoid it. Ultimately, you'll be perceived as a victim. Others will be seen as 'picking on you' rather than defending themselves. Sure you're a thief, but you dont hurt anybody.

Another thing, always deny what you are. If you're kender... and someone calls you a kender, deny it. Claim to be a short elf. If someone calls you a thief, deny it. Claim to be a skinny fighter. Or a monk. Or a wizard. Anything but what you are. Be funny about it. If you claim to be a monk, after saying it, make a few clumsy arm gestures and trip over your feet. Be hapless. You, and the people around you, will get a kick out of the character for a long time.

More ideas? Types? Throw them up here. Lets see! heh
Pasano is offline   Reply With Quote