View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 09:28 AM   #15
Nichibotsu

Nichibotsu is on a distinguished road
As far as the Spanish Inquisition goes, and the Crusades as well (those always get thrown into any discussion of this sort), both were primarily products of Catholic Church doctrine rather than Biblical backing. In particular, any and every doctrine against Jews as "Christ-killers" is contrary to the book of Hebrews and other passages regarding the permanence of God's covenant with Israel.

I see the term Fundamentalist crop up again. It's a popular derisive term to throw around, but the actual definition of it is one who believes in the "fundamentals" of the Christian faith, which most professing Christians do. Such as: the creation of the universe by God, the virgin birth, Christ's death and resurrection, the need for that for salvation from sins, the sinfulness of man, the Bible as God's Word. Pretty basic Christian beliefs. The term just got a lot of bad press by being applied in a derogatory fashion.

As far as luring away from God, I'll take the golf someone mentioned. If you're on the golf course every Sunday instead of in church, it's luring you away from God. That doesn't make it inherently evil, but that does make it a problem for you personally.

I'd add one other thing for the Christians on the board (the non-Christians won't care of course). The Bible does say not to cause your brother to sin, and that if you *believe* something to be a sin, it's a sin for you. If you're choosing to do something you believe is a sin, that willful choice is sinful even if the action itself is not. So if you have Christian friends who can't in good conscience play the games you do, don't belittle them or try to bring them into it against their conscience.
Nichibotsu is offline   Reply With Quote