View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Wenlin

Wenlin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wenlin
To put it simply; yes. Thrice have multiple good friends linked only by our Internet connections on three different muds left or changed names - sometimes anonymously, or sometimes they tell me but I can't remember their new name - and so it was disheartening for me.

Lines of code (albeit code you can't see as text room descriptions, but rather visuals) and levels to gain resembles a game like Diablo. Chatting is only done to trade for the best item or decide where to go, and those choices are limited.

The bond gets a little deeper when you can confide in someone that's in your clan, or when you've explored new areas and found cool items together...Something you don't get when you play Everquest.

"It's just a game" is a common misconception, and as Amnon said, there are real people behind the keyboards. 'It's just a game' applies to when your roleplayed entities get fairly killed (permadeath or some important loss especially), and you still keep a cool head. Rather, NOT when you start getting insulted on an OOC medium (Most PvP video games, ooc channels) and then get told that it's "part of the game."
Wenlin is offline   Reply With Quote