View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #38
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

No, I don't assume that - quite the opposite in fact. I specifically clarified that "Every challenge overcome by your bot is a challenge that you miss out on" and that "each piece of content your bot completes is another potentially enjoyable experience you've lost out on". Even if you only bot 10% of the content, that's still 10% of the content that you personally miss out on.

Obviously, but it's the lack of enjoyment I'm discussing, assuming a game which is otherwise enjoyable (because if it isn't, then that is the real problem). A lack of enjoyment due to never experiencing something isn't subjective - because you clearly cannot enjoy something you never experience.

In other words, I'm explicitly talking about situations where people bot content they would normally enjoy - situations where, to quote my first post, "you're forced to choose between "having fun" and "being competitive"".

I already clarified my stance earlier in the thread, when I stated "I'm not arguing that botting should be against the rules, only that it can be a serious problem, and its potential impact should be taken into careful consideration when designing a mud."

That stance hasn't changed. I'm not saying you shouldn't allow botting, or that it's wrong, only that it can have a serious impact which should be carefully considered when designing a mud. Do you feel otherwise? That it's something a mud designer shouldn't worry about?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote