Thread: Akanbar!
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Pyrok

Pyrok is on a distinguished road
Re: Akanbar!

I would like to interject here, and state that if the three realms do not appeal to you for whatever reason, be it not wishing to align to a specific ethical tenet ALL the time (who wants to be a good guy ALL the time, honestly!) There is a fourth option. It's not exactly advertised, but it can be chosen fairly easily and that choice is: D) None of the above.

Yes, you can choose to be a realmless, homeless vagabond in the wide cold world of Akanbar and pick your own rules, your own code to live by and die by.
I myself have been rogue for some time now, granted it is an EXTREMELY difficult existance. I constantly face such issues as:
- Starvation. I'm ALWAYS hungry.
- Inclement weather. Sometimes I don't have the proper clothes to endure the weather. I freeze every winter.
- Animal attacks. Everyone faces this but I tend to see more of it. I don't have the great big walls others do.
- Lack of trainers for my skills.
- Loneliness. Being 'Rogue' you tend to be shunned from some of the more popular group settings.

That being said, I will say that it is HIGHLY recommended that you join a realm. This comes from one of the admins themselves. Being a rogue is about as close to 'Hardcore' mode as you can get in Akanbar. You will be alone. You will be occasionally naked, starving, poor and shivering in a stable eating carrots and pawning off your prized possessions just for a little warmth.
But if you feel like risking everything short of perma-death (which is occasionally hinted that it would come, but only when the admins are in a particularly trollish mood.)

On another note, to continue the trend of listing some of the new things in Akanbar, while they may not be new to you, and perhaps in your mind considered to be standard MUD fare, please understand that Akanbar is not some cookie cutter MUD. The admins here strive VERY hard to be different, sometimes in the face of a frustrated playerbase. This is not to say that the admins do not listen to the players, quite the contrary, they try to fit in our ideas with the game and sometimes our ideas are so ridiculous. There is a standard that is being maintained, and a vision that is being pursued.

'Nuff rambling. NEW THINGS!

- Lottery house! This was added mere hours before this post! Come, bet your life savings, win someone else's life savings!

- Feats! Now you'll know if Gulstaff the Powerful is really as powerful as he says, or if he's just Gulstaff the Liar.
Boast without fear about your own feats!

- Item Customization! Spend hard gold, or if you're particularly impatient and want to support the game,
buy some power crystals and make your boring leather pants really snazzy with a dragon hide trim! Or whatever you feel like adding, within reason.

- Fishing! It's simple, and some people's fascination with it baffles the admins but it's there! Try to catch the biggest fish you can in the sea! It's quite the feat!

- Witness a mortal achieve apotheosis! That's right, perform well enough in the Ascension Trials, the most glorious and rarest of events, and become a GOD!

AND THIS IS JUST THE STUFF I KNOW ABOUT!! There's oodles more to discover, and more rumored to come!

Use the shiny new Java client coded up by one of the resident admins!

or for those with your own client:
akanbar.com
port: 23

Last edited by Pyrok : 02-19-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Sending Link!
Pyrok is offline   Reply With Quote