View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
GamerDad05

Name: Adrian
GamerDad05 is on a distinguished road
New Dad and Son to MUDS

Hi,

This has all started with something my Son told me in the car one day.

Before I tell you what he said I will give you a quick summary of my Son.

He is a very smart 10 year old that loves playing games and reading fantasy stories. He will normally reads his Kindle for about 2 hours before going to bed each night. He has been playing Board games and Pen and paper role playing games since he was 5. His gaming skill would likely be similar to the average adult. The first game of the Mage Knight Board game we played he won. I can also say the only game he has not beaten me at is a game called Dungeon Twister.

Anyway back to the car.

I had just given him a rouge like game called Cataclysm on his PC and after speaking to him about this for a while he said this.

Dad I would really like a game that just had words describing everything. That way I could use my own imagination to build the world

So this got me thinking. I looked at all the Interactive fiction that exists and found that there was nothing that was really available that would capture his interest. Then I stumbled across these MUD's.

I am now in the process of trying to work out which one I should use for us. I have never played any MUD's before and would like to learn this at the same time as my son. This is something he and I really enjoy doing together.

My only concern would be the possible content on some of the stories and the only real thing that I think would be out of bounds is of a sexual nature. Any violence and other mature subjects should be acceptable though. I will be playing at the same time as him and also making sure he behaves well.

I have narrowed down my search to Avatar and Discworld.

Any suggestions or advice on this would be welcome.
GamerDad05 is offline   Reply With Quote