View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #73
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

Umm. I use speed walks for two reasons - 1) Its not always easy to remember "how" to get some place, and 2) I may need to get there fast. Reality is, most of them, unless they are generated mud side somehow, with ways to interrupt them, can't be. Mushclient's certainly can't, but then, I also don't like how limited those are, the fact that I can't break them up or add commands to help deal with the bottleneck built into the mud I play on, or call up specific ones. I scripted one. But, if I wanted it interruptable, I would have had to make something way more complicated, and there just wasn't any real point to doing that, since most places I need to get "between" won't have people in them anyway, unless they are traveling to some place else too.

In any case, why can't you have rude people, if they want to be? Now, if you scripted one to solve a complex puzzle every time you needed to get into the mad mages tower, or something, ***that*** would probably be crossing the line they draw where I play. Its expected that they spend some time to think something like that through, where, on the other hand, just opening a door people normally think about so little that, when distracted, they might actual forget they didn't open it and walk into it. lol

In any case, I do think there are lines you shouldn't cross. Something that requires "planning", "thought", or "real time", shouldn't be done via script. Planning means, among other things, figuring out which mob is the next one you want to attack, **regardless of**, whether you are the only person in that area or not. Some of the absurdly complex combat some muds have... Sorry, but they don't prevent botting, and unless you type like a fracking maniac, you are **already** at a mechanical disadvantage to anyone that can type faster. Scripts to handle "some" of the details actually level the playing field, for anyone who isn't dumb enough to use a client that can't run them.

And then, there is the question of just what exactly you mean by "advantage". I have a script that gives me an "advantage", because it gives me an estimate of how many potions I can make, given the ingredients I have in inventory. A client that has a map system gives an "advantage". Clients that support display of map data separate from the text, if your client can read it, provide an advantage that others don't. Scripts recently written for the newest Mushclient allow limited mini-windows, which can provide display of what quest you are on currently, better display of your stats, a list of spell ups, etc. All are "mechanical" advantages, but no more so than if someone kept a box of tokens next to their computer to set out, to tell them what spells they are using, or a notepad to write down the quest they are on. Its more automated, but nothing they couldn't do otherwise, and there are bound to be some people out their that can keep track of most/all of it without anything at all.

The distinction made where I play is - It has to be player initiated, it can't do multiple things that directly send commands to the mud, and, if it does, then its purpose must be to gain information, not actively do something "in game". So, one may be able to summon a pet, name it, and tell it to follow, but *not* summon it, tell it to attack a mob, then when it dies, summon a new one to attack. There has to be a break in the sequences some place, where the client isn't reacting to the world's output by recasting a spell, or doing something that directly effects its mechanics, but the "player" has to be the one telling the game what is happening. Speed walks are pretty much the only case where you can go beyond that, and again, if you solve some puzzle in 1/5th of a second every time, admin is going to eventually notice and want to have a chat with you... lol
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote