View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #58
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

After reading these threads for a while, I think I have a clearer way to explain why the RPI community is going to continue having a hard time claiming the title RPI as their own. Before the term RPI or "RP Intensive" was adopted by three games with a specific feel or feature set, it already meant something in the gaming community and continues to mean something to the vast majority of gamers.

RP Intense = The RP on or with this game is intense or the RP is the focus of the game.

Now a subset of the MUDing community is trying to claim it for their own saying that it not only refers to the RP on their games but also a list of specific features. They can continue to call themselves whatever they wish and continue to use the term, but they don't have a right to be upset when people use the term or initials as it is commonly defined with almost everyone else. It was a very poor choice, and if the Armageddon style games don't change the name they are going to have live with the consequences of that poor choice.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't have anything at all against these games. I've played several of them myself. For their own sake and sanity, I do hope they come up with a more unique term to categorize their games.