View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #45
iovan

Name: Elijah
Home MUD: DBAT
iovan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to iovan
Re: The "Health," of Muds

Why did this turn into a discussion on clients? I mean I understand how the conversation got to that but I disagree with the notion that clients have much of an affect on the number of players available to the MUD community. I don't think the problem personally lies with the way MUDs are presented to people. I mean that can be an issue but it's the type of issue that would pop up with any medium. Interface can always turn some off and appeal to others.

Introducing the "bubble".

What I think the issue is mainly that MUDs are cut off in their own little "bubble" world unnoticed by most people. That has always been the case true but it has been getting worse along the same line of decline that is easy to notice. If people don't know what MUDs are, that they exist, or that they may interest them then they aren't going to try them out.

Even looking at MUD listings. They advertise to fellow MUD enthusiasts and rarely to people who find them in searches. The "outside" internet isn't easy to break out to with information on MUDs that might grab the attention of people who may indeed be interested. I've met far more people who have never heard of MUDs than I have people who have. Let alone people who have PLAYED a MUD. Not to mention a person I heard from recently who was shocked that MUDs were still even played. That means that person had at one time either played a MUD or been familiar enough with them. Yet they hadn't done either for so long they were shocked.

So that's the million dollar question. What can be done to appeal to those outside the "bubble" information wise. That seems to me to be the best solution. Clients and interfaces are all well and good and have a good chance to appeal to those who happen by but mostly they just will milk the same core of players already in the "bubble". I don't know if there even is a solution to this core issue but it's at least worth talking about.
iovan is offline   Reply With Quote