View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #79
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

I am not "resorting" to anything. I honestly believe that is the motivation for some of the people who get on this crusade every 6-12 months. Perhaps I am wrong about their motivation - it is always tough to gauge such a thing.

But I think it is pretty clear from the tone of their posts and from the stances they take on other issues. These are the same types of folks who are against anything that treats professional muds equally. They continually support and suggest changes that artificially and arbitrarily give advantages and placement priorities to games that didn't earn it by sending traffic. If there is any opportunity to slam a professional mud or to personally attack the operator of a professional mud, these are the people who will seize the opportunity with great fervor.

The reason I believe there has to be some kind of ulterior motive such as this is because the reasoning behind this argument makes no sense. The definition of "free" they seem to require just doesn't make any sense, and is not how the word is used in everyday life. The examples are numerous - including many already given in this thread.

In other words, in absence of a rational reason for a given behavior, one can logically assume there is an emotional or self-serving motivation for the irrational behavior.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote