View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 08:52 PM   #24
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
Add a 'head' command, allowing you to continue to move in a particular direction until you no longer can (or azimuth, such as head northeast or head 270 degrees).

I'd suggest, for intuitivity, that you have commands for the paces as well as a pace-setting command, so someone could do "run north" or "pace north" and then "run".

With our new engine, we are creating an analogous command interpreter - it will attempt to determine the command(s) you wish to do based on the construct of your sentence, rather than require you input your command in a specific format. One of the things this does is recognize the paces and change to them automatically. You may want to consider a similar approach, if you're not already.

Movement should be intricately linked with combat, in my opinion - all current paradigms restrict combat to the room or area in which it began, and this is not how it should be. Allow for the participants to set specifics about themselves (if the pressed, retreat or stand ground? If opponent retreats, do we press the advantage or hold back?), and then let combat meander as needed. If done properly, one could use objects and terrain in the area to ones advantage. I don't know if this is putting too much depth into it, but it would be great to fight in the dark and have your opponent trip over the caltrops you've strewn through the area.

With ranged combat, allow for misses to possibly strike others in the surrounding area. If someone passes through the trajectory of an object, perhaps it will hit them, or they will deflect it enough to where it misses its target.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote