View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Syndic

Syndic is on a distinguished road
Re: What makes the perfect _Necromancer_?

Just to clear two things up that I think didn't get across very well in my post...

a) my comment about the newbie levels: What I wanted to say is, let the necromancer start dealing with animated undead at low levels. Too many games let newbie necromancers run around beating and/or blasting stuff because they won't get any efficient undead until level <way too high, at least several days of playing before you reach this>.

b) Ruckus said: "But I'd like to see other options available to the necromancer, perhaps even go as far as being able to be a productive necromancer who doesn't do animation at all."

- "go as far as..."? Have a look at... oh, which games to choose. I'll limit myself to two, to avoid another novel. So, Take diablo 2. Old game, but a classic - the necromancer there had a fairly powerful number of undead pets (at least after patch 1.10), but could easily play without them using the bones and poison skills he got, augmented by his curses. And for a newer example, take guild wars. The necromancer there CAN summon undead (though it's the sucky kind that decay over time, even if they're just standing around). But they also get lots of direct damage (both single-target and multi-target), life-draining abilities, curses (debuffs), blood-well style thingies (buffs for allies in a radius around a corpse used for this ability), and and and... there's dozends of playable necro builds with no summoning involved at all, and maybe one or two builds that use summons... but aren't useable in all areas, since the necromancer there has to constantly refresh his supply of pets.

I can't even think of a game where the necromancer CAN'T live without his undead pets right now - I'm sure there are a few, but the games where necromancers are "mage plus pet" by far outnumber the ones where necromancers truly rely on their pets, I think. "Mage plus pet" isn't new. Not at all.
Syndic is offline   Reply With Quote