View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #122
Freela

Freela is on a distinguished road
Re: Materia Magica's cheating ways

This is a really old thread (2002-2006) and the only reason I am posting a reply is because when I googled MM, this thread popped up in third place which is pretty high considering it was a very long time ago. I don't think that is really fair .

I used to play a Pay-for-play mud called Age of the Throne where the system operators were HORRIBLE cheaters. This I found intolerable in something I was actually paying to play. Even though I REALLY loved that mud, especially for its unique incentives and rewards to RP, I quit as soon as my paid up time ran out. I don't even know if it still exists because the cheating was so bad and in fact went into highly objectionable areas.

I mention this because MM is now under new ownership and I have only been playing it for 8 months and I have no idea if people cheat or not. There are several things I don't like about MM and a great many things I do like. On balance, I plan to keep playing although I have yet to decide if they are worth giving my hard-earned real money to. Needless to say, if I ever had proof that the imms /owners were cheating for their friends I would quit in a heartbeat no matter how much I enjoy playing there. One has to be able to rely on the Mud's programs to be impartial (except when an imm is required to fix a bug for a player).

Most of the playerbase seem to be old players (there are still new players who join now and then and like it enough to stay). This could either be because they benefitted so much from previous versions and cheats that they are loyal or because they don't feel there was sufficient cheating to worry about.

I have tried a lot of Muds, many of which I stayed in less than a day, some for a couple weeks. MM deserves , in my experience to be one of the top.
Freela is offline   Reply With Quote