View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 12:31 AM   #147
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Many people, probably most, who vote for a MUD do so to support the MUD, not necessarily because they see it as the best MUD. Those may often be one and the same, but certainly not always.

The rankings list has always been about who can drive the most traffic here. Do you really think no one has done this before? I've heard lots of (admittedly second-hand) stories about MUDs rewarding everyone online if their votes on this site could be increased by X amount in the next hour. We just got more organized about it, that's all.

And I promise you no one is up to anything hokey, or at least, to my knowledge. It's simply that we're giving them a reason to vote. We were listed on here a few days before we started incentivizing voting, and though we got to #3 quickly. Your player base is huge, but judging by the number of votes you have, few of your players are voting regularly. You guys must have what, 10,000 subscribers, at least, I'd think, but over the space of a few days, you've 'only' gotten 1500 votes. That's a very small percentage of your population voting. The percentage of our population that is voting is quite a lot bigger. Most of our players only vote every 24 hours, incidentally, or at least, only some of our players know. We only give the reward every 24 hours in any case. I mean, this current round of voting has been going for a number of days now. If it's been going for 5 days, we only needed slightly over 400 players to vote, each once a day.

--matt