Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello

Don't take his comments too personally. Here's the thing with any mud (versus a freeform mush or tabletop RP session or something like that): You're going to have to do a lot of the same stuff over and over again, and there's only so much you can affect and do without the mud owner doing something special.

That means that in a roleplaying mud, 99.999999% of all RP is just going to be people talking, and other people listening, nodding, reacting, whatever. NWA suffers greatly from this because it tries to pass itself off as a bastion of incredible RP, and due to no fault of its own, falls a little short. It has a great playerbase who, for the most part, is dedicated to an in character experience, but there's only so much you can do. I've tried NWA on and off (currently off) and I think where it's lacking is the same place every so-called roleplaying mud is lacking: the players just aren't that interesting.

When I'm in an RP game, I need players who are smart (way smarter than I am). I need people who will say things in character that aren't obvious, that I wasn't expecting, and that will surprise me and really make me think. I need people who will say things in character that make me want to change my character to be more like them (or change my character to more strongly oppose them). Anything I see on my screen that isn't making me think and change is just wasting my time. NWA's playerbase (and this isn't unique to NWA) has gravitated toward a very ineffectual playing style. Most RP muds are vaguely in character chat rooms, rather than the roleplay-driven worlds they're advertised to be.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote