View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
flbellman

flbellman is on a distinguished road
Re: Turning a MUD into a novel

That should be a copyright infringement case, notwithstanding the terms and conditions of your website. Of course, each case should be addressed individually. The more detailed your word is, the easier you can stop people form using it. Of course, there are many issues as to builders, and other stuff. Is not this covered somewhere in the Forums? This topic should be hot!

However, the bottom line is this. For example, I play Achaea, and the Mud has a lot of background, name of Gods, places, events etc...I cannot write a novel set in the world Achaea, and sell it in bookstores, (even though this my help to advertise Achaea, but that's another matter).

You can add a specific clause in the terms and condition of your Mud to bind players on the base of a contractual obligation, and not only by the applicable IP Law which may have different standard as to copyright infringement. I think it really depends on your attitude about fan fiction.

If you want I can help you or anybody, for free on this matter.

I am really fond of IP and VG, and I would like to support the MUD community.

P.S. Yes, I am a lawyer, quite sadly;
P.P.S. Yes, I did an LLM in NY on IP Law;
P.P.P.S. To be hones, I (try to) play Achaea. I do not have much time left for VG.
flbellman is offline   Reply With Quote