View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003, 07:12 PM   #199
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
I don't see a point in removing a mud from top mud sites until the copywrite owner asks for it, or there is fact leading to the point that the copywrite owner has requested the mud to remove their copywrited information.

There are a hundred different versions of MU*s, how many people know the legalities of using LambdaMOO?

And there are a thousand genres out there; do we all know the requirements of White Wolf, or Star Wars, Star Trek, Wheel of Time, Mortal Kombat, Neuromancer, John Brunner, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Trigun, Mad Max, Robotech, Street Fighter, Palladium, D&D, Predator, AD&D, Tolkien and Aliens?

The point I am making is this:

I don't care to discuss ethics; we may as well discuss abortion or the Iraq War.

If you really want to find a solution, you need to find a goal that can actually be achieved.

So you have two options:

(1) Ensure every mud is within limits
--------------------------------------------------
Step 1:
Go through every mud in TMS and MudConnector and figure out what theme they are using, this would mean you would have to log into the game and document the various possible copywrite infringements.

Step 2:
Write up a formal document to that mud about its usage of copywrite, list the possible sources that they may be infringing like this:

-------------
To whom it may concern,

We have noticed that the following areas of your mud may be conflicting with copywrited materials, please submit to us approval from the following companies:

Bantam Books
ColorDeck, Zeiss Ikon Lowlight Eyes and Count Zero. These items have been found to be from the Neuromancer trilogy

FUNimation
Goku, Gohan, Vegetta, Frieza. These items have been found to be from the DragonBall Z animated series.

Twentieth Century Fox
Ripley, Zenomorph. These items have been found to be from the movies Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection

Please submit these documents to us, in the interim your site will be removed from TopMudSites, if you have any questions please contact us at

Regards,

Top Mud Sites
-------------

Step 3:
Now, you remove that mud from TMS and wait for the person to submit these documents.

(2) Ensure that all requested muds are removed
--------------------------------------------------
Step 1:
Create a section on TMS that has contact information for copywrite / license owners wanting a mud removed can contact the owner

Step 2:
Once they have contacted TMS with enough information remove the mud and send a notice to that mud that copywrite Owner X has requested their mud be removed

-----------------------

Now seriously, those are your options. I really don't want to get into ethics, I have my ethical views of the matter but that isn't the point right now. The point is not only is it ethical, but what is the best solution to the problem?

If you don't agree then I suggest posting better system on how the owner of TMS can successfully deal with the problem at hand.

*shrug*
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote