View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #35
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's try this again...RP MUD

Snowtroll and Exohuman my comments here are mostly for you or players that think in this way.

The question is: How come I can't play in a enforced serious roleplay game but have it casual too so I don't have to be around alot to advance or be important?

The answer is similar to a question I was asked once. While attending a concert with an exceptional pianist the person sitting next to me said, "I would give my life to be able to play like him." I answered quietly, "He did."

What I'm saying is that you can't be a professional race car driver and win the race by driving casually a little bit every so often. To be good and indepth and important you have to devote some time to it. That doesn't mean you can't race for fun or drive periodically on the race track and have a good time. Just don't expect to win and don't expect the other racers to suddenly know you and want to interact or listen to your expertise on racing.

Most games (at least New Worlds Ateraan), gives you the opportunity to play casually. There are options to not have to specifically join a guild that requires lots of roleplay. You can drop in and out for a few minutes or an hour every so often, but just like the race car driver, you can't expect to be majorly important in the environment with brief arrivals.

As to the matter of guild joinings and roleplay required to join guilds. After 10 years of administration in serious roleplay gaming, it has been obvious that to have such requirements has bred a better environment for the players that enjoy serious roleplay gaming. It is similar to the movie matinee and the late night (kid's not allowed) movie ticket: You can watch a movie with quiet, respectful persons, or you can watch a movie with popcorn flying, crying, noisy, obnoxious, and distracting persons. You really can't have both.

I hope these comments (while not perfect) help to explain why rp enforced games operate the way they do.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote