Thread: Crafting system
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 05:50 AM   #9
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I considered having a limit on the number of attempts - the problem being that, as it stands, it takes quite a lot of fiddling back and forth to get the potion to the right point (we're talking two or three minutes work). When you're talking about such a large number of attempts, I'm not sure that it really makes sense to have a limit - plus it doesn't really help with locks, as you should be able to spend as long as you like working on them (although in some particular scenarios you might have external time limits, such as an approaching guard).

I also don't want to reduce the number of attempts (at least too much), as the puzzles are supposed to be full game elements in their own right. With the added danger factor of traps and exploding potions, they should be fairly comparible with combat in terms of both risk and duration.

I suppose I could add a bit of a safety net for more skilled characters - the chance of a potion exploding or a trap going off might be reduced, and/or additional warnings about a tumbler getting too close to the danger level. But player skill should also cover these factors fairly well.

An interesting idea, but my concern is that if I add too many it will become too quick and easy to complete the puzzles.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote