View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
Re: RPing War and Conflict

Some very good points there. The idea of using our Wiki to describing the situation of our current scenario in
terms of troops layouts, relative strength and above all who is where should have been so blindingly obvious, except I didn't think of it!

About the credible threat part. Do you suggest the creation of actual physical NPCs as the means of creating that credible threat? Since our system has until now been fairly consent based, lot of RP has happened over notes/boards to communicate with people in different time zones (playerbase is fairly spread out in terms of time). Loading actual NPCs does add that extra element of reality, however, in case of complicated multiple alliances, a horde of NPCs wandering the capital city (and you cant make them aggressive since they would kill the non-RPing/newbie/uninvolved PCs of the city- so they cant ACTUALLY hurt you) has not particularly contributed much to RP. I guess the wiki would be a partial fix though by informing people about the complexity of the situation.

I have been toying with the idea of a dice system for our game too. In a straightforward scenario like the one you described the equal counters to both sides proposal is a fair one. However, assuming the situation was a little more complicated- as my current predicament goes- we have the (NPC) administration of the geographically most central city of the realms (under attack), the PC clan that has been aligned with them formerly (but apparently going through some sort of internal rebellion- attacking them), two mortal lead clans (good aligned) called on the request of the NPC city administration after the NPC alliance collapsed and a few rogue individuals with axes to grind with the first clan (helping defend; along with some members of the attacking clan that have held to the original alliance). Trying to balance this lot is turning into a minor nightmare! Addressing the unbridled imagination of a dozen PCs in different time zones from 4 different clans and an NPC city administration is more complicated then I remembered

Also as one of the players I suggested dice pointed out, an erudite and efficient RPer with great persuasive skill losing to a PC who cannot talk well just because the dice said so, doesn't sound very fair either.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote