View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Re: New site, whaddya think?

Thanks thanks thanks thanks *humbly bows*! Yeah, y'all have great points. Lessee:

The flash having links - absolutely. Meant to do that and did so, but bailed when I saw the result, it was ugly. In a nutshell, adding links onto the white text made the font size go down marginally. Since I've got the same text in black just behind the white, 1 pixel down and across, to add emphasis, it ended up being 2 fontsizes which looks dreadful. Anyhow thanks for the reminder, I fixed it (added links to the black text too in the end).

Game or not a game site, that's a tricky one - and related to the other point about it being too texty. See, having no marketing budget means you really have to rely on search engines for traffic, it's a mantra I've banged on about since I wrote . So guilty, yes I do tend to go overboard on the "Wheel of Time" stuff as that's an obvious natural constituency.

You're right about the features thing - I kinda deliberately did it alphabetically so as not to overpromisize (is that a word?) any one aspect. Maybe it needs a rethink =).

Why MUD? had to be done. You get really strange looks when you explain it's a text-based game, so it's a question you have to answer to convert the youngsters. It isn't easy .

Still, fun though, the reception's been good. I'm finding the analytics and heatmaps feedback very interesting - the difficulty is almost knowing when to stop making tweaks to get a higher goal conversion rate!

I guess what I personally like about it is the very clear 1/2/3 "process" and the segmentation at the top - based on Bartle's classic division into spades, hearts etc. Each gets its own tab, quite deliberately - quite smart I thought. But I guess we'll just have to see!

Thankyou again for your nice comments, getting positive feedback always makes you feel good

Cheers,
Nass
nass is offline   Reply With Quote