View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Searching for a Tolkien MUD

While I don't object to a bit of promotion outside the Promotion thread, that promotion should be accurate. This isn't.

Yes, Shadows of Isildur is a good, RP-focused game, but Elendor and the unfortunately underpopulated Beleriand (nobody wants to play First Age, it seems!) both offer "serious, dedicated roleplay in a level-less, class-less environment" as well. In fact, since they are both MUSHes, they offer almost nothing but role playing. Because they don't have the sort of coded character-game interaction that's common on, say, a DIKU-derived MUD (i.e., no mobs, no coded quests, etc.), players don't need to grind practing multiple coded crafts and combat skills in order to have a semi-competent character to role play under the game's coded systems.

I can't speak for The Two Towers, since I haven't played there. I have played extensively on both SoI and Elendor, less on Beleriand. From that experience, I can say that the original poster will find in-depth consent/consensus-based RP on Elendor and in-depth but more heavily code-involved RP on SoI. To say that SoI is the only place for level-less and classless RP in a Tolkien setting, though, is hogwash.
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote