View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Feels like a book" (for e-readers or against?)

That's the crazy thing. I don't live in any of the "big cities" of America. The area in which I live simply puts a LOT into their library system, and they've been really smart about it. They have tons of programs for pre-schoolers and toddlers and lots of enrichment classes for adults. It's ALL for free, too! All they require you to do is to call them and tell them you're coming. So, kids get used to being around books, and they continue to do it their whole lives.

I have to say that's what I'm watching most closely when it comes to e-readers and what will ultimately decide whether or not I get one-- how the library systems intend to use it. I think the libraries will be quick to incorporate them, but I don't know how it's going to go on the e-reader/publisher side of things.

Well, I guess we don't really know what the Library of Alexandria held for sure. Maybe they held the ancient equivalent of Twilight or Harry Potter, and I have absolutely no idea what the check out protocol was back then. All I know is that I can go to the library, load up on 36 books, bring them home and wallow in them. That falls under "pretty awesome" for me.

Oh. Um. E-books are cool! (Are we back on topic?)
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote