View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Dr. Evil Phil

Name: Jym
Home MUD: Evarayn (No Longer Online)
Dr. Evil Phil is on a distinguished road
Interview a MUD expert!

Hello! Its been a long time since I used the forums here, but TMS in general has always been a resourse for me. Let me re-introduce myself first:

Im Jim, and discovered my first (kinda) text game through a RP forum while a junior in high school, and it was Legend of the Green Dragon to be exact (a LORD web based clone). Later that year I discovered my first real MUD, which was Evarayn. I was overwhelmed and impressed at how it had real time battle without graphics (since LotGD was turn based)! I soon fell in love, and played regularly (to almost an addictive state) for 2 years, until it was shut down. It always had a small player base (I think in its prime it would get about 70 people during peak hours), but by the time I joined, 15 people was the most you could expect a given day.

It saddened me a great deal, since it was my first, and because of that all MUDs there after were compared to Evarayn by that light. I still have not truly found a home, yet I did begin to see that there are a lot of MUDs with spectacular developers and players out there. To name a few of the awesome MUDs I tried out over the years, there are: New Worlds, Achaea, Threshold, Discworld, and Armageddon, and more.

Im now in my college years, yet still remember fondly my mudding days. I have, therefore chosen Multi User Dungeons as the topic for my english composition research project, and knew this was the one place to ask professionals about MUDs.

~~~Here are my interview questions~~~:

-How long have you been playing MUDs for?

-What was your first MUD?

-What is your favorite MUD (if your a developer, then feel free to name your own mud, but also a mud you were only a player of)?

-(For Developers) What programming language is the most popular for MUDs? Do you use a different language from that?

-Why do you play MUDs instead of graphical games?

((Please leave your name, or nickname, and I'll just use the MUD your from as your last name (i.e: John from/of Evarayn))

---------------------------------------------------------

((Wall of text hit you for 10,000 damage!))

Heh, sorry for that giant chunk of reading! I would really appreciate a response from both players of MUDs and creators! I wanted to choose a topic I was passionate about, and one that was totally original (seeing as how no one else in my class-heck probably my whole school-knows what a MUD even is.

~On a side note, Im still looking for that perfect MUD to fill the void of Evarayn! I might try out the ones I listed above again, and then some new ones. My quest isnt over!~
Dr. Evil Phil is offline   Reply With Quote